Friday, March 17, 2006

Me against the world (and technology)



Me. 21 year old, male, human, unpredictable.
vs
World. billions of years old, genderless, consisting of millions of species, even more unpredictable.

What was meant to be a breather between an exam and another bout of exam preparation, has turned into a nightmare.

There was the wireless adaptor fiasco, where I bought a USB wireless network adaptor and it didn't work on either of 2 computers that I wanted to use it on. (One of them has since been retired since I got my laptop.) I needed to determine if it was the problem with the 2 computers, or that of the USB device.

Initial sample size of 3:
Athlon desktop - works
Pentium 3 laptop - doesn't work
Pentium 3 desktop (the one made from discarded parts) - doesn't work
(1/3 working)

New laptop:
Centrino Duo laptop - works
(2/4 working)

Brought it back to the shop, the guy tested it on:
Unknown desktop - works
Another unknown desktop - works
(4/6 working)

With this sizeable sample size, it's very likely that the results are not due to the USB adaptor, but 2 isolated situations of incompatibility. Damnit. Now I dunno what to do with that USB adaptor.

And in the meantime, I'm struggling hard to try to get myself started on revision proper. Microbiology, neuroscience.

And as though to mock me, the field of microbiology decided to reward me with a viral cold. I'm sneezing alot.

And the new laptop, thanks to NUS, has lots of weird crap installed on it. I had to uninstall some firewall thingie manually (doesn't appear on the add/remove programs list), and run some registry hack from the net to enable me to choose my Windows Update settings. And also I gotta reconfigure everything to my preferences.

This dual core notebook has its potential, but the current crop of software, as I found out, never pushes the CPU usage past 50%, meaning that they can't use both cores simultaneously. Only certain programs such as Photoshop (no surprise, graphic designers have been using dual CPU rigs since the dinosaur ages, thus the demand for a software that can make use of that) are able to fully utilise the power.

OK enough of tech ranting. I know you dudes don't dig it, but I gotta get it off my chest anyhow.

In other unrelated news, Orson's No Tomorrow is one great song. It's a fusion of funk rhythms, rock instrumentation and corny rhyming lyrics (Tomorrow there's no school/ So lets go drink some more Red Bull - wha..?)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home